National Youth Violence Prevention Week
Poster and PSA Contest
(Please read the contest guidelines below then click on the link to register)
National Youth Violence Prevention Week Poster (NYVPW) & PSA Contest (How It Works)
CONTEST THEME: “Be a Superhero: Activate Your Super Powers!”
Participation: Students will compete according to grade levels (Elementary, Middle, and High School).
*Elementary School students will participate in the Poster Contest only.
Elementary School Students will create an original poster that relates to the National Youth Violence Prevention Week’s theme, “Be a Superhero: Activate Your Super Powers.” Students will display their posters at the “Kicking It To Violence” event at Todd Stadium on Saturday, April 20th. Students’ artwork will be on display from 1:30 pm to 2:30 pm underneath the Visitor side stadium Seating Area. Poster contest winners will be announced at 3:15 pm. All posters are subject for use to promote NYVPW. If your poster is used, you will receive full credit!
*Middle and High School students will participate in the PSA Contest only.
(PSA stands for “Public Service Announcement.” Examples: Live Drama, Skit, Dance, Rap, Song, Poem, Speech, Spoken Word, etc.)
Students can compete individually or in groups of up to 5 people. Middle & High School Participants will create an ORIGINAL song, skit, rap, poem/spoken word, jingle, dance, etc., that relates to the National Youth Violence Prevention Week’s “Be a Superhero: Activate Your Super Powers” theme. Ideas must be original and between 1-3 minutes in length. All PSAs are subject for use to promote NYVPW. If your PSA is used, you will receive full credit.
-Middle School PSAs will be performed from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm. Middle School PSA contest winners will be announced at 4:15 pm.
-High School PSAs will be performed and judged from 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm. High School PSA contest winners will be announced at 5:15 pm.
-Judges: the SEV Community Care & Action Team and various leaders from community service and violence prevention organizations will judge all poster and PSA entries.
-Prizes: The SEV teams will provide 1st, 2nd, 3rd, (and possibly honorable mention prizes) for each participant group (Elementary, Middle, High).
*Poster Idea Tips:
GUIDELINES FOR POSTERS
• All posters must be explicitly related to the contest theme: Be a Superhero: Activate Your Super Power
• All posters should be the original work of the artist(s). Submissions that incorporate the works of others should conform to US copyright law. NNPS, The Catalyst Effect, and the Silence Empowers Violence Community Care & Action team are not responsible for copyright violations committed by submitting artists.
• Posters may include photography, collage, and mixed media. • All posters should be made on a standard 18”x24” sized poster board.
GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSION Please type the following information on a separate piece of paper and use a paper clip to attach it to your poster:
• Name, Age, and Title of Work
• A statement that explains the design and its relation to the contest theme
• Affirmation signed by the artist that the submission is the artist’s original work. JUDGING All posters will be judged by various community members on creativity, originality, appropriateness, and relationship to the theme.
Decide what type of PSA is the right format for your message. Watch PSAs online, identify your topic, research the topic, identify your audience, determine the distribution method and “hook,” create an outline, write a script and practice performing your PSA.